I’ve taken a break from playing, leading and being involved in sung worship. I got to the point where I was running on empty. I acknowledge that some of this was self inflicted and some just about burnout and losing perspective, energy and the reason of why I play, lead and what worship is really about.
It’s been good to be honest and vulnerable, to show a bit of courage, to just stop, step back and take time to be refreshed and reflect.
In addition the reading, listening, conversations and writing that I have done have been very helpful and fruitful in the context of this season.
Here’s some helpful things that have fueled my journey and reflections, including some things that I’m still looking forward to.
- Mission Catalyst on Worship This really sowed some of the seeds for this project/sabbatical
- Katherine Maxwell – Rose Why I’ve given up singing songs
- Lament in Worship article. Do we need more of it? More Honesty?
- Mark Labberton – The Dangerous Act of Worship
- What is True Worship? A Bible Study By Krish Kandiah
- Dethroning Mammon by Justin Welby
- Being Disciples by Rowan Williams
- Walter Brueggemann – The Spirituality of the Psalms, Reality Grief Hope and The Prophetic Imagination.
- Nine Beats on Sandbox Podcast – Part One
- The Brilliance – All is Not Lost https://thebrilliance.podbean.com/
- The Liturgists – Worship Part 1 and Part 2
- Nine Beats Collective Album You Tube Indiegogo Facebook
- Nomad Podcast http://www.nomadpodcast.co.uk/
- Engage Worship http://engageworship.org
- February – Writing an Album, Incorporating an expression of Worship: FAWM in February
- 11 March – Soulfulness: A Gathering
- 28 March – LICC Engage Worship ‘Whole Life Worship’ Book Launch
- 6 April – Retreat in Hampshire
- 7-9 April – Nomad Gathering, Nottingham
- Grace, Ealing http://www.freshworship.org/